Keeping Big Dogs Cool
How to keep your Big Dog Cool in the Heat this Summer is very important and I wanted to give you some tips that might help them!
My Top Tips :
- The most important one that most of you probably already know, is that on hot days you must not leave your dog in the car, its just not worth the risk ! It can take less than 15 minutes for a dog to sustain brain damage or even die form heatstroke. If you must take your Dog in the car then make sure you have someone with you that can stay with them or take them with you where possible.
- If you Suspect any signs of heatstroke we advise you contact your Vet immediately
- On really hot days its just best to keep your Big dog inside and out of the sun, closing Shutters , Blinds or Curtains will help to keep the the inside cool.
- Try using a fan to keep them cool, or if you have air-con even better.
- Limit the amount of exercise you give them, they wont need a lot on hot days just a quick play and sniff around to stimulate the brain.
- also cool them.
- A small paddling pool set up outside is a great way for your Big dog to have fun and also cool them.
- A large Towel soaked in cold water is a good idea so they have somewhere cool to lie down
- Try as much as possible to teach your dog to stay in the shade out of direct sunlight
- Another very important thing is always make sure they have plenty of fresh cool water
- look out for early signs of Heatstroke -these can include some of the following:
- Bright red tongue
- Very red or pale gums
- Increased heart rate
- Breathing distress
- Coconut oil can be applied to your dogs coat and has some protective properties against sunlight almost like sunscreen for us !
- Pat down your dogs coat with a damp cloth this will help them to keep cool
I hope these How to keep your dog cool in the Heat top tips will help you and your Big Dog this Summer.